wattsvilleblues

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wild frontier

I haven't posted to this blog since last July, but hey, it's never too late.

Things that interested me this week:

A couple of points raging about online information and communities.

First is whether we need a code of conduct for web communications:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,2053530,00.html
Seems to be based around the case for anonymity or otherwise and whether freedom also means the freedom to abuse other webbers to the point of harm. Vitriol can be amusing, but I wouldn't want to be on the end of it. On the other hand, I'd say the web thrives on being self-policing. The web represents the best and worst of humanity, that's the way it is. We can be great, we can be unspeakably rubbish. No point expecting the web to be 'clean' if we have our hands dirty as a species, but I'd like to feel the aspirations to greatness outweighed the depravity.

Secondly, is wikipedia finished?
Larry Sanger thinks it is:
http://blog.citizendium.org/
He's set up Citizendium as an alternative, based on a model of 'good governance'. It seems that Sanger, O'Reilly and Wales have taken fright at the Frankenstein's monsters they have created. Too free, too messy, too confusing - requiring the engagement of some kind of intelligence and discretion which I guess they don't think we possess. I don't mind good governance myself, as long as it's only by me. I rarely accept anyone else's, unless they have earned my respect through wisdom, imagination, humour and compassion, ie my very few good friends and fellow travellers.

What am I reading this week?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hegemony-Survival-Americas-Global-Dominance/dp/0141015055/ref=sr_1_1/026-1594913-1839636?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176374558&sr=8-1
Just fabulous. Wit, compassion, hope against hope, massive intelligence. And I've got to finish it soon because I'm on my second library recall. As a librarian, this means I will shortly have to fine myself. But it's a snip at £7.19 on amazon. Go on, what else would you spend it on? Pointless consumerist drivel?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home